A Travellerspoint blog

Wehrell-ed Travel, Australia

semi-overcast 70 °F

Our last days in Sydney were to be spent on the beach. We would relax in the sand, swim in the warm ocean, and eat on outdoor patios of cute, terraced cafes.

Except it didn't quite go like that--because...does it ever?

We have spent a lot of time at the beach, Bondi mostly. Because if you're spending your last few days on a Sydney beach, why not make it one of the most iconic beaches here? On a hot summer day upwards of 35,000 people flock to lay in the pristine sand along the picturesque coastline. One day! However that whole plan of getting sun? Was more like this:


It's a lot less crowded on an overcast and rainy day.

When we drove back to Sydney from the Blue Mountains we were met with a deluge of rain about ten miles from Bondi. It continued to lightly rain for a bit, but mostly stopped upon our arrival.

The house we rented is a ten minute stroll to Bondi and even less to Tamarama and Bronte Beaches. During Desmond's nap I walked down to Bondi and took the coastal walk that stretches between Bondi and Coogee. I didn't have time to do the whole thing, but I loved the walk. It was absolutely stunning.



There was a mix of storm clouds and clear sky, providing a moody contrast.


I passed waterfalls streaming from the limestone along the path.


I avoided sea spray from thick waves being carried by strong winds.


I got it all--warm sunshine that left me sweating followed by pounding rain and dark skies followed by strong winds. I wasn't cold, but I was definitely feeling a bit relieved when I found myself looped back toward Bondi and spotted the iceberg club's pool. I was close to our house, close to getting out of rain, and most importantly--close to a bathroom.


Have I mentioned how this baby just SITS on my bladder?

I continued along the beach looking at the lovely street art before heading back to our flat, soaking wet.


The weather cleared up that afternoon and we took Des down to the beach for a good session of play.




Des had such a blast!

We grabbed some take away and had a low key night in. The owners of the house we are in have a well stocked toy selection, so Des was able to unwind and relax.

This morning I woke up to do more coastal walking before Des was up. While I'm used to seeing few people out while on my morning walks, on the coastal route I saw so many really fit people out running. I was the lazy chubby lady slowly waddling along and snapping pictures.


When everyone was up we went to brunch at a lovely terraced cafe. Check that one off. The sun broke through the clouds and while it still felt cool, there was no rain. Perfect for more beach play.




Zac and Justin ventured out for a swim while Des and I dug in the sand and chased sea gulls.


Heavy rains plagued the early afternoon, but In the evening we had a break from it with enough time for a walk at sunset.


It's hard to believe we fly home tomorrow afternoon. I am dreading the flight--a far worse schedule than our red eye here. The red eye was our best bet for Des sleeping on the plane, but he hardly followed that plan. Tomorrow we fly out at his nap time, so I fully expect a major meltdown, shit fit, and uncontrollable tears. Likely all from me.

It has been a lovely three weeks.

Posted by JorieW 15:08 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint